FASET welcomes and introduces all incoming students and their guests to the Yellow Jacket Community, including new first-year, transfer, and exchange students. This coming summer, the FASET program is changing from a two-day program to a one-day program. The one day program allows students to enroll for their first semester of classes, discuss transitional issues with current students and college staff, and begin to make connections with other incoming students at Georgia Tech.
The primary role of a FASET Leader is to provide guidance to incoming students and assist in the facilitation of Summer Orientation events and activities. The position of FASET Leader requires a great deal of dedication and hard work. They are expected to learn the most important aspects of college and of orientation to best facilitate positive interactions between guests and incoming students. As representatives of The Georgia Institute of Technology, FASET Leaders are expected to be able to fulfill varying and diverse roles throughout training and orientation sessions. While serving as a guide to new students, FASET Leaders are also responsible for communicating and upholding Georgia Tech policies as well as any special policies that may apply specifically to New Student Orientation. The minimum expectations and responsibilities for FASET Leaders include, but are not limited to:
Attending and actively participating in the OL training program.
Working as a team with other FASET Leaders, FASET Cabinet, NSTP Professional Staff, and any GT staff and faculty.
Participating and assisting with the organization, planning, and implementation of orientation activities throughout the summer.
Facilitating group discussions over issues that new students and families may face during their transition to college
Responding to student, parent and guest questions.
If a student is chosen to return to the FASET Leader staff, they are also expected to provide guidance and share previous experience with new FASET Leaders, lead a FASET Cabinet sub-committee that will be advised by a committee of Cabinet, and assist their Cab Team Leader with the mentoring and group building of their respective Cab Teams.
The minimum qualifications for FASET Leaders include:
- Good academic standing, with a required cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Good judicial standing with no outstanding judicial sanctions.
- Will be enrolled as an undergraduate student at Georgia Tech at least one additional semester following the summer they are a staff member.
- Understand and support the purpose of NSTP, FASET, and the mission of GT.
- Demonstrate the ability to be reliable, responsible, flexible, and willing to help.
- Demonstrate the ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse group of team members, students, guests, GT faculty and staff.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about Tech and help others learn about GT and how to be a successful student.
- Demonstrate pride of Georgia Tech and the willingness to share said pride with incoming students and families.
- Must be present and on time to all training sessions, pre-sessions, and FASET Leader training sessions (unless cleared by NSTP Professional Staff).
The benefits of being a FASET Leader include:
- The opportunity to meet new students, family members, and guests and become an important part of their welcome and transition into the Georgia Tech community.
- Unique leadership and professional experience.
- Leadership stipend.
- Free Georgia Tech Swag.
- A lot of free meals and snacks.
- Becoming a part of a Georgia Tech Tradition.
- Complete and submit an application online by TBA.
- Upon turning in your application, you will receive instructions for filling out your required online profile. Please complete this profile by TBA.
- Applicants will be notified of interview signup by TBA. Interview signup will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Individual Interviews will be held TBA.
- Group Interview will be held TBA.
- Applicants will be notified of the final selections on TBA.
Each applicant applying to be a FASET Returner will be required to complete one additional process during their individual interview process. During their individual interview process, each applicant who has served as a FASET Leader in the past must:
- Create something that represents the reason why they want to be a FASET Returner and what being a Returner means to them.
- The physical representation can be anything that the applicant feels best represents their desire to return and reflect their own personality .
- Some examples include poems, pictures, models, slideshows, or songs.
- The applicant must be able to explain how the creative display represents their answers.
- Each applicant will have 10 minutes to present their creation.
- The presentation will be followed by a 10-minute interview.
Working/Classes During the Summer
Though FASET Leaders are required to be present at all sessions and trainings (unless authorized prior), NSTP supports any student who decides to enroll in classes or be employed on or off campus.
- FASET Leaders ARE ALLOWED to take classes this summer. They will be able to work FASET sessions and attend classes at the same time.
- Part Time Jobs - Leaders that have a part time job must communicate the required dates to their employers and have a written and supervisor approved plan to balance both their job and FASET.
- Coop/Internship - This coming summer FASET leaders will be able to hold an internship or coop position.
Students who are studying abroad during the Spring Semester are eligible to apply to be a FASET Leader. These leaders are still required to attend all trainings/sessions that take place following their study abroad term. Those applying while abroad will participate in a virtual interview process.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the New Student & Transition Programs office by emailing NSTPrecruit@gatech.edu. Thank you for your interest in joining the FASET community this year!